Saturday, February 15, 2014

My MIND MAP of Prof. MOSHE F. RUBINSTEIN's Lecture on "MINDING ORGn - BRINGING the FUTURE to the PRESENT"

Prof Moshe F. Rubinstein on "MINDING ORGANISATION - BRINGING the FUTURE to the PRESENT"
This real-time mind map of the above mentioned seminar organised by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) Academy on 9 Jan 2001 never fails to amaze me on how I managed to capture the essence of Prof Moshe F. Rubinstein's talk.

I could still remember January 2001 as the month where I did a record number of beautiful mind maps. The above lecture by Professor Moshe F. Rubinstein was indeed memorable in that it taught me always to try to picture the future and bring it to the present. By doing so, your project would always most likely succeed.

Prof Rubinstein gave lots on examples on this concept......like how Imhostep, the great Egyptian pyramid builder took 20 long years to build the pyramid. Imhostep definitely was able to "see" the future (i.e. plan into the future) and bring the plans back to the present. Like he was able to cater for all the barriers and obstacles that may hinder the success of his project.

One of the questions that I always asked my students and participants is, how did the Egyptians managed to place the last stone (weighing one ton), on top of the 460 feet high pyramid, 4000 years ago? What equipment did they use at that time? How did they manage to build an almost perfect pyramid? What type of measuring instruments were used during the building stage?.....etc...

It was really a challenge for me to mind map the talk on just one sheet of A3-sized paper, considering the fact that there was no table for me to place my mind map on. All I had was, a flat plastic document container that I had to place on my leg/thighs to form a temporary table. I had to switched my legs several times during the 2-hour seminar so as to keep the blood flowing, if you know what I mean. On top of that I had to hold a bunch of colour pens that I had to switch quickly to reflect the tone of the speech and etc....Haha.

Of course, the reward for me was admiring the fact that I managed to capture much of Prof. Rubinstein's brilliant lecture on "Minding Organisation - Bringing the Future to the Present" all packed onto just one sheet of A3-sized paper. Professor Rubinstein and Dr Tan Chin Nam, the then PS of MOM graciously autographed the mind map on the spot.

Not many people in the world have the ability to really think about the future and bring it back to the present. Among those who can, I think, were Imhotep, the great Egyptian pyramid builder, Qin Shi Huang, the first emperor who unified China and many others. Have you encountered anyone like them in modern times? Haha.

I have my own list and I am sure you have a similar list too. Do enjoy the mind map and continue formulating your list. More importantly, do what Professor Rubinstein advocates, that is, to bring the Future back to the Present. This really calls for imagination on a cosmic scale. Thank you for viewing.


Mind Map Blog by Choon Boo LIM is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you.