Saturday, December 10, 2011

My Mind Map on "What is Going On in the Universe" by Prof S Jocelyn Bell Burnell at the Singapore Science Centre on 26 Feb 2009


My interests in the Universe mushroomed since I was 12 years old, when I started to realise that our Solar System and Milky Way Galaxy in our Universe could possibly be equivalent to that of a water molecule in our mighty ocean. Thus, when Dr Pang from the Singapore Science Centre together with the British Council Singapore invited members of the public to the talk on "What is Going on in the Universe" by Prof S Jocelyn Bell Burnell on 26 Feb 2009, I quickly jumped and accepted it.

I was not disappointed listening about Dark Matter and Dark Energy and about the surprising discovery that the Universe is further expanding instead of contracting as most people believed. I was surprised to know that Professor Burnell was the first person to discover the first radio pulsars as a postgraduate student and that 2009 was also the International Year of Astronomy.

This mind map posted here is dedicated to Professor Burnell's excellent presentation of what is really happening in our universe. It brought me up to date regarding some of the matters that was of interest to me, but did not have the time to pursue in our hectic lifestyle.
I am glad I came for this excellent presentation.